Instagram

Follow Me!

Uncategorized

Infected….

My poor Pookah Bear.

Tuesday morning, he woke up moaning.  And when C-Dub bought him into our bedroom, he was hot.  I immediately jumped up and took his temp:102.6.

Hmmmm.

I wasn’t too concerned.  Everyone( my mom, C-dub) kept saying it was his teeth.  But his temps with his teeth never go higher than 100.  If that.  In the back of my mind, I was thinking ear infection.  But Pookah wasn’t pulling on his ears( he never does).  He just lay on me looking pitiful.  I finally got a bit of Motrin in him and he seemed to perk up.  But he wouldn’t eat or drink any milk or water. Or juice.

And he was constipated.

My poor baby!!!!

Around lunch time, I got him to eat a small bit of oatmeal, and he went to sleep.  The fever was low grade by then, and he seemed to be getting better.

But after naptime, the fever returned in full force. 103.4.  I dumped in him a tub of cool water and just kept pouring cold water over him while I waited for the motrin and tylenol( I didn’t give them at the same time, but close together) to work.

It came down to 102.

And he was still moaning with the constipation.

Pookah clung to me all afternoon, but finally around 5 he perked up and ate some yogurt.  Still no milk or water, but he looked like he was ok.

And he pooped.

Bad thing was, I had to go to work.  I’m comfortable leaving  Pookah with C-Dub because he knows he can call me and I can answer any questions he has.

I got the call around 8.

“He’s pulling on his ears and his temp is back up. 103.6”

I could hear Pookah struggling to breathe over the phone.

“Take him to the ER, I’ll meet you there.”

If you know anything  about fevers, you know they get worse at night.  I could just see Pookah’s temp getting up even higher and C-Dub not realizing it. And I knew Pookah was going to get dehydrated soon, because he hadn’t had anything to drink.

Luckily, I was in charge, and was able to rearrange some things at work and meet them there.

Diagnosis: Double Ear Infection.

This is number…..I’ve lost count.

So, he got more tylenol, drops for the ear pain to take home and a prescription for yet another anibiotic.

The fever went back up during that night, and he threw up once. But once that was over with, he seemed to be doing better.

He’s doing better day 2 of the anitibiotic.  He is finally taking milk.  But is still not eating that well.  Of course, I haven’t sent him to daycare, because he is still a bit pitiful.  He hasn’t had a fever since the middle of the night Wednesday morning, so he is safe to go back.  I just don’t want to take him now.  I might send him tomorrow, or I might just wait until Monday.  Depends on how he is looking in the morning.   The sad thing is, daycare takes their money whether he is there or not.  Sigh.

So, I’ve made my follow-up appointment at the pediatrician and I am thinking about calling the ENT Doctor  and just scheduling his surgery for the tubes.  This was the worst ear infection that he’s had. And since I’ve now lost count of how many he’s had, I think it might be time just to get it done so we can all stop worrying about it.  But I’m just leery about Pookah having “elective” surgery. Sigh.

Mama Bear is overprotective.

So, that’s how my week has been going since the race.  How’s yours?

  • Reply
    Nina
    July 7, 2011 at 5:09 pm

    I asked my pediatrician about tubes when Fletcher had his 4th one in a year, and he said that 6 ear infections in a year was the typical criteria for the recommendation for a myringotomy/tube placement. He also said that they almost always taper off by the time they’re 2 because of how the eustachian tubes start to drain better at that age. I’d definitely talk to him/her about it and see what they say. Poor Pookah has to be miserable.

  • Reply
    krissy
    July 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm

    Poor baby. I hope he gets better soon. My friends son had tubes put in and has had an infection since. My cousin who is now 21 use to have ear infections constantly when she was a baby. She’s now partially deaf in one ear. its kind of a crap shoot with these things. I hope your baby just grows out of it on his own.

  • Reply
    Quiet Dreams
    July 7, 2011 at 8:50 pm

    Poor baby, I hope he’s better soon.

  • Reply
    BossyGirl1980
    July 8, 2011 at 1:47 am

    Dont I know about these.. My doctor told me that the next one we would have to discuss tubes.. They are the worst..

  • Reply
    Carla
    July 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm

    I hope he feels better. I had to deal with ear infections with my son and I too, lost count of how many ear infections that he has had. The last one, (at least I hope so) was in 2010 and I had to rush him to the hospital. He was given a shot and Motrin and he hasn’t had an infection since then. Since then, I just take extra precautions. And now, he’s at the stage where he’s able to tell me if something hurts. I considered checking with an ENT but luckily, tubes weren’t necessary.

    • Reply
      rosesdaughter
      July 10, 2011 at 9:16 am

      I’m going to see what his pediatrician says.

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge