Vacation starts today!! In case you didn't know, I am going to Beaches resort in Turks and Caicos today with Beaches Moms' Social Media on the Sand Conference. . I had no trouble deciding what to pack in my suitcase ( sundresses, bathing suits, sunscreen) BUT my biggest dilemma was what travel photography gear I should bring! Which one of my cameras should I bring with me to capture all of our memories?
Travel Photography Gear for Family Travel
So, I have become a little more minimal than I used to be. I used to be all about the best camera. And ALL THE GEAR. But over the years, I've learned that a camera is a camera. That the best camera is the one you have with you. And that carrying around a heavy camera all day is not my thing with family in tow is not what I want to do.
I asked my Instagram Family, what should I do? LOL. It was split. The bloggers said the 6D, my photographer friends said the M50 and my iPhone.
I couldn't make up my mind all day and actually didn't make up my mind until this morning right before I published this post.
And here is why…
- My Canon M50: I took this on the PTH Cruise last month and I just loved how small it was, the flip screen for shooting those overhead table shots and how I didn't have to really think about much because it's just easy.
- Olympus Tough TG 5 Waterproof Camera: Only because I wanted to give Pookah and C Dub a camera for the times I am not there. Because when they are not with me, they will be on the beach.
- LifeProof Waterproof Case for iPhone: because when I'm on the beach, this is what I will have. When I'm in the water, this is what I will have. My iPhone. My second workhorse.
- Memory Cards: not pictured, 2 more 16GB and 2 more 32 GB. Because i like to be prepared.
- ALL THE BATTERIES and their chargers.
I decided that since I wasn't going to print these photos out at HUGE sizes and because I always preach a camera is a camera, it shouldn't matter what camera I take! Photography is more than gear, it's about light and composition and knowing when to push the shutter to capture that great moment.
So I chose the lightest option that will give me the best photos.
Stay tuned for photos from the trip!