Quick and easy gluten free meals that don’t come out of a box and finding one that EVERYONE will eat is the holy grail in my house. So when I find a gluten free recipe that fits the bill, I hold on to it and try not to fix it every day. In our house, Pookah loves Chicken, I love roasted Brussel Sprouts and mushrooms and C-Dub just wants it to taste good. I came across this recipe some time ago on Beatrice Clay’s blog. But I had a few ideas of my own. I did a bit of fiddling and came up with a combo recipe that I knew was gluten free, tasty, quick and easy.
Gluten Free Rosemary Chicken with Root Veggies………
Pookah is in that picky eating stage. When I say picky, that means he will eat about five things:
- fish sticks
- gluten free graham crackers
So…we have a lot of chicken in our house. Barbecue, Baked, fried( in gluten free flour), in the chicken nugget variety..etc etc etc. In an attempt to save money( and cause I’ m not about to make two meals), I’ve been on a mission to find quick easy gluten free meals.
I’ve practiced and tweaked the recipe that I found over and over until I’m sure I’ve found the combo that works for us. From start to finish, this meal took 1 hour from refrigerator to plate.
The ingredients are simple:
- Chicken thighs
- brussel spouts
- red potatos
In keeping with the easy part, I cooked this entire meal in my a big cast iron skillit that my mother gave me.
The chicken gets browned while you chop up the veggies. The potatoes boil just a little until you’ve got that all done.
Throw it all in the pot together.
Throw it in the oven
35 minutes later….
It was Devoured, by all who live here.
- 5 Skin on Chicken Thighs
- ¾ pound of small red skinned potatoes, halved or quartered if large.
- ¾ pound of Brussel Spouts trimmed and halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- ½ pound of shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 springs of fresh reosemary
- 10 oz of mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of xtra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespons unsalted butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 475
- Cover your potatoes with cold water in a pan and salt the water. Bring to a slow boil and cook about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Season your chicken with salt and pepper( or whatever you like to season with) and add it to the skillet skin side down until the skin browns, about 5 minutes.
- While your chicken is browning, chop up your veggies.
- Turn your chicken, add your veggies to the skillet. Drizzle with melted butter.
- Cook in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes rotating your pan halfway through cooking.
- Cook until chicken registers 175 degrees.
- Transfer chicken to serving platter, tent loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Toss veggies in the juice at the bottom of the pan.