Happy Cinco De Mayo!!!!
I love these vegan tacos that I made a while back…
Last summer, C-Dub had me convinced that being Vegan was what we should be. He argued me down, so we tried it. And….I found that I really really really love a good steak…and cheese….
I mean, not like all the time, but every once in a while.
So we gave up on being Vegan. But while we were experimenting, you might say, I created a lot of recipes that I know that I will continue to use. One of those experiments were these vegan tacos and they were…so good. It’s so easy to make and only has a few ingredients!
They key to making me forget they were vegan were the Portabella Mushrooms. They are a great substitute for steak/meat.
These are really really good guys!
You don’t have to make your own Guacamole to go on it, I just chose to because I have always hated guacamole..until I made my own.
So since it’s Cinco De Mayo, I thought I’d share my vegan taco recipe along with my homemade guacamole one.
Both are quick and easy recipes for you to enjoy!
Happy Cinco De Mayo!
- 2 bell peppers, use different colors. I have red and orange AND green in this recipe, with seeds removed and sliced thin
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- Cumin and Garlic powder to taste
- Coconut Oil
- For Homemade Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 of a Red Onion, chopped
- 1 Tomato, diced into small pieces
- The juice from half of a lime
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot add coconut oil to the large skillet ( not a lot)
- Then the onion and peppers.
- Season generously with salt, cumin and garlic powder.
- Cook until soft and slightly caramelized, stirring often.
- Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- At the same time, add a small amount of oil to the medium pan, then add the mushrooms.
- Season with a bit of salt until softened and brown
- Remove from heat, set aside and cover.
- Add the two avocados to a bowl
- Adding the juice of half a lime, onion, tomato garlic powder and salt.
- Mix together.
- Build your taco, add guacamole on the top.